The Governor's Service Awards are presented in recognition and appreciation to individuals and community and civic leaders for their outstanding contributions to volunteer service throughout Colorado.
The nomination window for the 2019 Awards has closed. Please check back in summer 2020 for the nomination link.
The ten award categories are:
- Outstanding Volunteer
Presented to an adult who provides outstanding volunteer service to their community, fulfilling a local need and inspiring others to serve.
- Outstanding Military or Veteran Volunteer
Presented to a current servicemember or veteran from any branch of the military who has demonstrated outstanding volunteer service to the military and veteran and/or civilian community. Current and former active-duty, reservists, and National Guardsmen are eligible for this award.
- Outstanding Teen Volunteer
Presented to a teen between the ages of 13-18 who provides outstanding volunteer service to the community, fulfilling a local need and inspiring others to serve.
- Outstanding Community Leader
Presented to an individual who provides outstanding leadership, organization, and inspiration to volunteers in their community. They understand the importance of service and developing connections between groups and individuals to forge collaborative solutions to meet local needs, as well as a dedication to their community that inspires those around them to serve.
- Outstanding Nonprofit or Volunteer Organization
Presented to a volunteer organization including service clubs, nonprofit, faith-based, veteran, disaster preparedness, etc. that has made an outstanding impact on Colorado's communities.
- Outstanding AmeriCorps State & National Member
Presented to a current AmeriCorps State &, National member, or a State & National member who has served within the last year, who exemplifies the spirit of AmeriCorps by going above and beyond the requirements of their program.
- Outstanding AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) Member
Presented to a current AmeriCorps VISTA member, or a VISTA member who has served within the last year, who exemplifies the spirit of AmeriCorps by going above and beyond the requirements of their program.
- Outstanding AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps) Team
Presented to a current AmeriCorps NCCC team, or an NCCC team who has served within the last year, who exemplifies the spirit of AmeriCorps by going above and beyond the requirements of their program while serving in Colorado.
- Outstanding Senior Corps Volunteer
Presented to a current Senior Corps volunteer, or a Senior Corps volunteer who has served within the last year, who exemplifies the spirit of Senior Corps by going above and beyond the requirements of their program. Participants of the Foster Grandparent Program, Senior Companion Program, and RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) are eligible for this award.
- Outstanding National Service Alumni
Presented to an AmeriCorps alumni or Returned Peace Corps Volunteer whose commitment to service continues to exemplify the spirit of AmeriCorps or Peace Corps beyond their term of service.
- Nominees should have a demonstrated focus on volunteerism for the past year only (June 30, 2019-July 1, 2020).
- Volunteer service must be performed in Colorado and may not include hours served as part of academic credit or court-ordered community service.
- Nominated organizations must serve the community at large (not limited to its own members).
- In the event multiple nominations are received for the same individual in multiple categories, the nominee is only eligible to receive one award.
- Current Serve Colorado staff and commission members are not eligible to receive an award. Entries are received in confidence, scored by a team of commission members, and become the property of Serve Colorado.